- Posted by Joe Fahmy
- on May 7th, 2013
Over the years, as I built a presence on Twitter and StockTwits, many people approached me about managing their assets. The only investment vehicle I had setup was a hedge fund. That structure was fine because it was mainly my money, some friends, and family. As more outside investors wanted to get involved, I needed to change my structure for the following reasons:
1) Transparency. My number one priority was to give investors 100% transparency and visibility. Specifically: Access to trades, positions, and balances in real-time.
2) Retirement accounts. Most people have a 401k at their job which is managed by their Plan Administrator. When people leave their job, they are allowed to rollover their funds into an IRA account, however, they usually don’t have anyone to manage it for them. My new structure allows for both taxable and retirement accounts.
3) Custody. I was looking for a reputable custodian that offered a platform to make trading simple for me. In other words, I wanted to make one trade that would get allocated proportionally to all the accounts.
4) No lock-up period. Because the accounts are under the client’s name, they have the ability to leave or add money whenever they want.
5) One-man shop. Potential investors would often ask me: “What happens if you get hit by a bus?” I would tell them “I don’t take the bus,” but they never found that answer to be funny.
The bottom line: I wanted a structure to give people comfort with their investments.
I recently moved to New York City and partnered with Zor Capital, LLC. Frank Zorrilla, the firm’s founder, already had the structure in place that I was looking for, and it was a homerun to join his firm. Zor Capital provides managed accounts for accredited investors and institutions. If you would like more information, please email me at [email protected] or visit the company’s website.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
Joseph Fahmy is the managing director at Zor Capital, LLC, a New York based investment management firm. Joe has over 17 years of trading experience...More »